Owl Art Blodeuwedd
- 9 x 12 Original Etching on Copper Plate – printed on Rives BFK archival paper.
- Available in Giclée Prints in 5×7, 8.5×11, and 16×20 inches matted in Blue and Purple only.
- Original Etchings in 16×20 and 18×24 inches are currently available in Blue and Purple and Custom
- For Original Etchings only: If you would like different choices of Mat Color, Paper Color, and Ink combinations – Please chose the “Custom” option in color and message me and I can work with you to create your vision
- Shipping and Handling for 5×7 inch, 8.5×11 inch and Matted 16×20 Giclée Prints are 1-3 Business Days
- Shipping and Handling for Original Etchings in 16×20 Matted and 18×24 Double Matted with Copper Remarque is 5-10 Business days and are usually made to order.
- Return Policy: All Purchases are Final.
- “Blodeuwedd” Owl Art is apart of my ongoing Celtic Mythology Series
Firstly, Blodeuwedd’s themes are beauty, relationships, charity, & hope. Her symbols are flowers & owls. This beautiful Welsh Goddess’ name means ‘flower face’. She was made from the flowers of broom, meadowsweet, and oak by the magicians Math and Gwydion. Blodeuwedd is the central figure in Math fab Mathonwy which is apart of the last of the Four Branches of the Mabinogi.
However Folktales say that Blodeuwedd was unfaithful to her husband. Subsequently as punishment for her crime the same magicians who gave her a flower face chose to be merciful and transformed Blodeuwedd into an owl rather than inflicting some other punishment.
In conclusion she has forever remained in this owl form. She mourns the loss of love & reminds people of two important lessons: relationships are fragile and beauty is indeed only skin deep.
Themes, Symbology and Iconography
Most importantly Blodeuwedd is signified by the Empress card of the Tarot. She is a Goddess of emotions, representing the matrix that reforms transpersonal and universal energies into well-defined life force. She is also the Maiden Goddess of initiation ceremonies and is known as the Ninefold Goddess of the Western Isles of Paradise. Flowers, the wisdom of innocence, Lunar Mysteries and initiation are Her provinces.
For more information on the mythology and historical origins of Blodeuwedd Click Here